Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Christ I'm bored

I hate summer, the weather is getting steamy, and I'm losing steam.

Grind of the baseball season is upon us, can't even have fun with it right now.  With 80 games left to play, any reaction is an overreaction, good games aren't that good, bad games aren't so bad, the whole sport goes "Meh" on us for about 6 weeks right when we need it most.  But the time it's finally time to care about baseball again, we'll be immersed in preseason football games, college football previews, fantasy football research, basically all things football.  That sounds so pleasant, I'm going to lose myself in the thought of it for a moment....(Aaaaaaahhhhh)...and now we're back to our regularly scheduled boredom.

The Twins are sitting a game back in the division, but have been playing uninspired baseball for the better part of two months and look to have the same ceiling as previous years. Tough to call another playoff appearance unnaceptable, but given the hype and the way things started out, it's also tough to get excited about. Victim of their own success I suppose, undermanned and scrappy goes a lot further than stacked and underachieving.

July is a grind man, once the 4th passes, it's pretty much just a waiting game for August to arrive.  Because once it's August, we can start entertaining thoughts of September, at the moment it's just too cruel.  Things have gotten so bad, I watched both a soccer game and MMA fight in the same 24 hours last weekend. 

Worse yet, I'm concerned about next week after the World Cup is over.  MMA you can keep, I always thought it was a bunch of meatheads rooting on a boring sport that's over too quickly to be worth the effort, and I was right.  I mean the Superbowl might have 9 hours of pregame, but at least you get 3 hours of football, a two-hour wait for two minutes of second-degree assault seems excessive.  It always ends with some kind of half-shoulder-full-knee-Nelson-3/4-reverse-toehold-hammerlock, where one dude turns purple as the other tries to go Pez dispenser on his head.

Not to mention half the guys watching it look like they've never been in a fight, yet can offer an in-depth critique of poor fight strategy on the spot.  What hold a guy should've used, if he should've gone to the ground earlier, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for criticism, but when Tavaris Jackson knuckleballs a throw to a running back in the flat or Scott Baker throws a 2-out, 2-strike cookie that a #8 hitter launches into the seats, I don't critique arm angle and footwork, I just say they suck.  Because they do.  Stop offering specific advice to the dude on TV and acting like you know better, he'd pummel you to death without setting down the other half of his club sandwich.  If you want to test your theories, there are plenty of bars I can recommend.  Only it's won't be on pay-per-view, it will be quite live; let's just say they invented the genre before anyone knew what the heck an MMA was.

If you ask me, the whole thing raises an interesting issue, why are there no fight clubs?  Or are there fight clubs, and I'm just not aware of them because they have rules about not talking about them?  I mean it's obvious that the word is full of dudes who love a good fight, yet apparently they have no interest in doing the fighting.  Whole thing kind of reminds me of people who rail in favor of war, yet have never come anywhere near the military.  There's an air of "loudmouth pussy" to the whole thing.

And no, I'm not talking about everyone who's ever wantched a fight, just the select few who have never taken/given a punch in the face, yet consider themselve authorities on the subject.  If you have a Tapout shirt, a barbed wire tatoo and frosted blond hair, I'm talking to you, and you know who you are.

This is why I shouldn't be allowed around the MMA types, and believe me, I don't desire to be.  Real sports need to return, damn I'm bored.

1 comment:

  1. Your posts just keep getting better bro!!! The one had me smiling the entire time. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete