Monday, February 7, 2011

Are we there yet?

Barreiro led off his show today with two questions:

How could things get worse for Vikings fans?
What's the worst part of the team's current state?

My answer to question #1:

5 words: Brad Childress, Super Bowl Champion.

In a sense he’d just be another name on the list, but unlike Dungy, Billick and Tomlin, who’s coaching talents are plainly obvious, Childress winning would be proof positive of the curse hanging over this franchise.

And #2:

You can’t even play the “one piece here, one there” game with things in their current state. We are nowhere, the Lions finished ahead of us, there is no light and the tunnel has collapsed.


The past week in review.

The Gopher hoops team followed up a terrible loss at Indiana by getting blown out against OSU.  Excusable to get killed by an undefeated, #1 squad, but it hammered home the point that this team is going nowhere.  Not entirely their fault, certainly a lot of lousy luck involved the past two seasons.  But luck is what it is, and this is unraveling into one of the more disappointing seasons in recent memory.

Wild are mediocre to the point where they should probably just change their name to the Minnesota Mild.  Win one, lose one, win one, lose one is becoming a familiar pattern.  The product is more watchable than it was in the first few weeks, but it still isn't good enough to elevate them among the current logjam in the Western Conference.

Wolves are better than last year, but their record is worse, go figure.  Wake me if Rubio ever shows up and isn't a bust.

I accompanied a group of Gopher hockey fans to Duluth and watched them drop 3 of 4 points to the Bulldogs, pushing the team into the bottom half of the standings.  Although it didn't sting on a personal level, I bring it up to illustrate just how many things are going wrong around here at the moment.

Green Bay wins the Super Bowl in a year where the Vikings finish in last place.  And they did it with half their team on IR.  And it doesn't appear they're going anywhere for a long time.

As for the game itself, I thought it was very entertaining.  Sure there were some moments of poor execution, and I really would've liked to see the Steelers pull it out, but in the end I feel like I got my money's worth.  Some big plays, some solid defensive stops, role players and backups stepping up, good football game that was worthy of the title Super Bowl.  To be honest, I'm less bummed than I was watching the Saints win last week.

My coping mechanism for all this is to declare February 7th, 2011 as "Rock Bottom Day" in Minnesota sports history.  The has got to be as low as we can sink.  For my sake and that of all my fellow fans, I can only hope that I'm correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment