Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Short and sweet

I'm about to run out the door for a final exam, after which I will have my life back form the evil clutches of grad school for a few months, so this is going to be a quicker entry. I just had to comment on the stupidity of the Associated Press looking to re-vote on the Defensive Rookie of the Year award given to Brian Cushing of the Houston Texans.

For those of you who don't know, Mr. Cushing has been implicated in the use of some sort of performance-enhancing drug; due to the cryptic rules of NFL disclosure, we don't really know what, just that his body did something it shouldn't be doing...we think. The last thing I want to do is defend cheating, but taking away the guy's award is as meaningless as it is self-aggrandizing, I mean at the end of the day, who gives a rip about a stupid defensive ROY?

Obviously the AP thinks very highly of itself, but if they're going to hang this very minor recipient of this very minor award out to dry, why not all the frauds who won bigger ones before him? I'm talking Pete Rose and Alex Rodriguez MVP awards, Mark McGwire's AP Athlete of the Year, Roger Clemens' Cy Young, etc. In fact while we're at it, let's pull Lawrence Taylor's bust out of the Football Hall of Fame, because what he's been in the news for lately is FAR more egregious than anything Brian Cushing might or might not have done. I know I'm blurring the lines between cheating on the field and breaking the law off it, but you get my point, all or nothing.

Re-writing history may make a couple self-important blowhards feel better, but it changes nothing, even any incentive money Cushing received for winning would be protected from forfeiture, per the NFL's collective bargaining agreement. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Be back with more thoughts tomorrow, and hopefully a lot more to say with my additional free time over the next few weeks. In the meantime, Go Blackhawks, Caltics and Twins.

No comments:

Post a Comment