Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Reflections on the weekend that was

Things were looking pretty ugly when I woke up this past Sunday morning, and I'm not talking about the face staring back at me in the mirror. My favorite college hockey team had just dropped 3 points to a team below it in the standings, getting throttled on Saturday in the process. Favorite pro hockey allowed 5 goals to a team that couldn't score, wasting a hat trick and starting off 0-2 against two very beatable teams on it's current road trip. My playoff fantasy picks bombed, favorite college hoops squad was (about to be) losing, and to top it all off, I had a mean hangover; needless to say, I've been better.

I was busy thinking up an angry, hate-filled screed to start Monday morning, when something miraculous happened; for the first time in recent memory, the Vikings redeemed the entire lousy weekend. I felt pretty good about the game going in, spent the week trying to shake my fatalistic tendencies with the team and focus on getting a win. All the hype from the national media talking up the Cowboys as the hottest team in football wasn't helping, nor was the pregame show full of Dallas love, or the play-by-play team. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman should've changed their names to Neal and Bob for that game, because that's what they were doing to the Cowboys for a full 15 minutes before kickoff; although I suppose when the booth is a former Cowboy QB and the King of the Viking Haters, that's what you get.

But all that noise turn out to be just that, as the Vikes defense turned in a pummeling display of pressure, Tony Romo unleashed the little girl we all knew was lurking inside of him and the Purple pulled off an impressive victory. Now it's on to the Big Easy and a potential trip to the Super Bowl, I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but this positivity thing might be working. More to come on this as I gear up for another big weekend and try to continue my run of correct NFL playoff picks (4-0 last week, yeah I got all the rest wrong, screw you).

2 comments:

  1. As always seems to happen in Loserville right after something good happens, Mike Hoeffel (team's leading scorer) will miss a few weeks because he has Mono...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Al Nolen is out for academic reasons...this could be the worst winter sports season in a long time (football doesn't count).

    ReplyDelete