Thursday, November 18, 2010

A fate worse than _____

So that happened, damn I hate it when I'm right.  We came, we saw, they conquered.  Vidi, veni, ve'll see ya next year-i.  Not a surprise given the Vikings recent Chicago history, not really much of a dissapointment in the context of history, just a feeble ending to a feeble season.

A heart that's been scarred over so many times takes a sharp blade to pierce it anew, and this year's team was about as keen as a spoon.  What does get me a bit though is the realization that the window is officially closed with this version of the Vikings; too many free agents, no QB of the future and perhaps even a new coach, it's time to drop back and punt.

That leads me down me down memory lane to last season, and the five years wandering in the wilderness that preceeded it.  They built a team, the stars aligned, it didn't quite happen.  And I think most of us knew at the time that was the best shot we would see from that group, trying to prop it up this year was a last gasp.

So I put it to you, fellow Vikings fan, to finish this sentence, and offer all that apply for me personally:

"If the Vikings had won the Super Bowl last season, I would..."

Take a swift kick in the nuts.

Be fine with them losing every game they play for 5 years.

Have no problem with a 10-year playoff drought.

Kiss Brad Childress on the mouth.

Shrug off the Packers winning 3 titles in a row.

Name my first-born son Brett Favre Voltin.

Never need another team I root for to win a title for the rest of my life.

Handle it okay if they packed up the team and moved them to LA.

And with that, it's officially winter sports season.

(Tonight's pick: MIAMI -1 over Chicago)

2 comments:

  1. Lines may change, but I made my bets today so I don't have to scramble sunday morning.

    MIAMI -1.5 over Chicago
    PITTSBURGH -7 over Oakland
    Houston +7 over NY JETS
    Baltimore -10.5 over CAROLINA
    Washington +7 over TENNESEE
    Detroit +6.5 over DALLAS
    Green Bay -3 over MINNESOTA
    Buffalo +6 over CINCINATTI -
    JACKSONVILLE -1.5 over Cleveland
    Arizona +8 over KANSAS CITY
    NEW ORLEANS -11.5 over Seattle
    Atlanta -3 over ST. LOUIS
    Tampa Bay +3.5 over SAN FRANCISCO
    NEWENGLAND-3.5 over Indianapolis
    PHILADELPHIA -3 over NY Giants
    Denver +10 over SAN DIEGO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I made a promise to your brother last year that if they won the superbowl I would get a life sized bronze statue of Chilly.

    ReplyDelete