Monday, April 5, 2010

Hiatus...DEAD!

So it's been a long layoff, but I don't want to give up on this thing. Frankly I was drunk for much of March; I don't offer that as an excuse or explanation of my poor effort, just an acknowledgement of reality. A friend of mine gave me some good advice, not every post has to be a novel, keep things short and sweet, so I will do that here. The month of March taught me another lesson, or perhaps re-taught in this case: I am a loser, born and bred, so don't get caught up deluding myself into thinking we can win.

Today is an auspicious day, kicking off the beginning of baseball season. For anyone that does not follow baseball, I am sorry, you are missing out on a special phenomenon, a living, breathing thing that weaves itself into your daily routine for half the year. Box scores to start the day, Baseball Tonight to end it, with a game in between; the routine gets so powerful, off days feel strangely incomplete. It is a great time, and the time that offers the fans of Loserville the most hope, as the only team that ever overachieves in this town comes out to play. So, without further ado, my AL Central standings for 2010:

1. White Sox (92-70) - Over the course of the season, the best pitching usually carries the day
2. Twins (90-72) - Starting rotation falters just enough to cost them (like I was goig to pick them to win, it's friggin Loserville for petes sake)
3. Tigers (86-76) - No table setters and not enough power, young pitching also takes a step back
4. Royals (74-88) - See last 20 years of Royals baseball
5. Indians (68-94) - This is what a $50 million payroll with several bad contracts gets you

So there you go, here's to 6 months of ballgames, outdoor baseball in Minneapolis and hopefully a playoff run. Prove me wrong Twins, prove me wrong.

2 comments:

  1. April is not baseball season, its the start of playoff hockey season. Nothing to say about the nickname issue? Come on this is Loserville, USA. You just LOST your nickname!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call P-Vo. You describe the baseball fanatic rituals very well. And, fortunately for us Twins fans, they sometimes do prove us wrong. I have stuck a fork in this team in early August two or three times recently, only to be treated to some incredible finishes (I still haven't recovered from 163). Hardware lasts, and the Twins are the only pro team to give us any... at least since the Lakers left town! Go Twins.

    ReplyDelete